Outreach Ministry is a group that reaches out to serve the needs of others with emphasis on the local community. This ministry achieves its goals through the efforts of volunteers who give of their time and talent along with the generosity of the congregation. This group is responsible for monthly collection of donations to help those in need.
2019 Desert Cross Outreach Ministry Calendar
- January – Annual planning meeting. Blood Drive on Sunday, January 20
- February – SouperBowl - Tempe money and canned goods to Shepherd's Warehouse and Gilbert's canned goods to Open Arms Care Center; Baby Box Safe Sleep Collection February 9-March 1; Service Project at Starbright House of Hope in Gilbert
- March – Shoebox Ministry purse/personal items for Mother's Day in Tempe from March 9-April 14
- April – Blood Drive on Sunday, April 28
- May – Sunday Hunger Jars for water for Grace Lutheran Heat Respite Program
- June – Back to School Collection in Tempe for Kyrene Resource Center and Step Up School from
June 1-July 28
- July – Back to School Collection continues for Kyrene Resource Center and Step Up School in Tempe
- August – Hunger Jar Collection to purchase diapers from August 3-September 1
- September – Blanket and Jacket Drive for Shepherd’s Warehouse from September 1-29
- October – Blood Drive; start holiday Food Drive for Shepherd's Warehouse in Tempe from
October 5-November 24
- November – Thanksgiving food drive for Shepherd’s Warehouse in Tempe continues until
November 24; Turkey Sunday in Tempe for Kyrene Resource Center and Shepherd's Warehouse is Sunday, November 24; Angel Tree Collection starts November 9
- December – Angel Tree collection in Tempe ends December 8
The Tempe campus is always accept toiletries for Grace Lutheran's Homeless Program. We also accept eyeglasses for Lion’s Club, pop tabs for Ronald McDonald House, gently worn shoes for Kyrene Resource Center, and coupons and Campbell’s Soup labels for Step Up School. Please place these items in the appropriate box or opening in the Outreach Cabinet in the corner of the narthex. If your donation is too large, please place behind the doors in the front of the cabinet. *Please note: Do not place perishable items in the large collection bins.
The Gilbert campus has an on-going collection of Box Tops (each one earns 10 cents), empty ink cartridges (each one earns a $2 credit), gently used tennis shoes, used uniforms (blue or khaki bottoms and red or blue polo shirts), and used sweatshirts or sweaters for Concordia Charter School.