Outreach Ministry is a group that reaches out to serve the needs of others with emphasis on the local community. This ministry achieves its goals through the efforts of volunteers who give of their time and talent along with the generosity of the congregation. This group is responsible for monthly collection of donations to help those in need.
2021 Desert Cross Outreach Ministry Calendar
(This information will be updated as it is available. We have had to adjust the way we hold drives during the pandemic.)
- Januray - Blood Drive on Saturday, January 16; Special Hunger Jar Collection to Restock School Supplies for Kyrene Resource Center during the month of January.
- February - SouperBowl Special Hunger Jar Collection from February 7-28 to support the mission of supplying food to Grace Lutheran Church and their homeless program.
- March - Safe Sleep for Babies Special Hunger Jar and Gift Card collection. Target, Walmart, Amazon, drug store or grocery store gift cards will be collected in any amount ($25 recommended) and used to purchase diapers and other essential baby items.
- April - Blood Drive on Saturday, April 24 in the Community Center at our Tempe campus. Registration required. Register here. We will also have a Special Hunger Jar for Shoebox Ministry for the purpose of providing toiletry items for residents who are experiencing homelessness in the Phoenix Metro area.
- May - Special Hunger Jar to support Grace Lutheran Church's Heat Respite Program for the homeless and water for Kyrene Resource Center. The Gilbert campus is also collecting medical supplies (children's tylenol, ibuprofen, cough drops, cough syrup, bandaids, lice kits, chapstick, hydrogen peroxide, antiseptic wipes, and neosporin) as well as children's books (for grades K-6th) for Concordia Charter School.
- June - Undies Sundays. Please bring NEW children's underwear in all sizes to worship or you can send in donations to be used to purchase new underwear. These donations will be going to Kyrene Resource Center and the Step Up School.
- July -
- August -
- September -
- October -
- November -
- December -
The Tempe campus is always accepting toiletries for several homeless programs. We also accept eyeglasses for Lion's Club, pop tabs for Ronald McDonald House, gently used shoes for Kyrene Resource Center, and coupons and Campbell's Soup labels for Step Up School. Please place these items in the appropriate box or opening in the Outreach Cabinet in the corner of the narthex. If your donation is too large, please place behind the doors in front of the cabinet. *Please note: Do not place perishable items in the large collection bins.
The Gilbert campus has an on-going collection of Box Tops (each one earns 10 cents), empty ink cartridges (each one earns a $2 credit), gently used tennis shoes, used school uniforms (blue or khaki bottoms and red or blue polo shirts), and used sweatshirts or sweaters for Concordia Charter School. We are also collecting travel toiletries for I-HELP.